History of Forsan Baptist Church
In the spring of 1929, the Rev. B.C.
Richburg of Big Spring traveled to Forsan to preach in a
little, two-room school house during the early days of the oil
He saw the need for full-time ministry
and contacted Baptists within the community and those who were
working in the oil field. The Forsan Baptist Church was
organized with less than 10 charter members.
In a short time, the membership
doubled and the group began making plans for having a church
building of their own. The first building purchased was a
disused cafe, which the group remodeled and began using as
Forsan Baptist Church.
These were the early days of the
Depression, but the Lord blessed the work and Bro. A.E. Travis
was the first full-time pastor of the church.
In 1934, Mrs. Travis organized the
W.M.U. and in the same year, the Brotherhood was organized as
well. In 1936, plans were made for a new church building. Bro.
A.T. Willis became pastor in 1939 and organized the
construction of the new building, which is the modern
building. The older building became the first education
In 1940, the Sunday school was
organized into departments. A new parsonage was also purchased
and remodeled. The first homecoming was May 3,
Mr. McManus became the first Sunday
school superintendent. He was followed by Bro. Jack Arnold,
who also served as postmaster. C.V. Wash succeeded Mr. Arnold,
and was pastor for seven years.
The first deacons ordained by the
church were: Ike Glass, I.O. Shaw and T.M. Hammer. Others
ordained were John Butler, J.E. Brown, Alfred Thiems, C.V.
Wash, Glen Smith, J.B. Hicks and Joe Marting. Other deacons
who joined the church include J.D. Gilmore, W.C. Russell, M.M.
McClintock and Orville Robinson.
Bro. Overton was not only a deacon for
34 years, he was also treasurer for 33 years and Sunday school
teacher 34 years -- 101 years of total service by one man in
three vital areas of the church.
Present deacons include Derrell
Baggett, J.L. Barron, W.R. Cregar, Bob Evans, chairman, John
Hancock, C.V. Wash and George White.
In 1956, Bro. L.L. Garner led the
church members in a new construction project for an
educational unit. The old cafe building was torn down. In
1976, the auditorium was remodeled. A drop ceiling was
installed, the walls were paneled, a new heater was installed
and refrigerated air was added. That same year the parsonage
was remodeled. It was paneled throughout and aluminum windows
were installed with storm windows added.
In 1982, central heating and
refrigerated air was installed in the education building. A
new kitchen was built and the fellowship hall enlarged. New
carpet was installed and a new nursery added.
In 1983, 30 feet was added to the
education wing to provide three new classrooms, a new nursery,
new bathrooms and an additional entrance from the parking
area. The new design also allows overflow from the fellowship
area. Ceiling fans have been installed in each room and
heating and cooling now accommodate both ends of the
New carpet and furniture were
purchased and the total expenditure for a two-year period was
$115,000. This was paid by the congregation without borrowing
In 1950, Sunday school enrollment was
271. Following the disbanding of several oil camps, enrollment
dropped to 100 in 1969 and in 1972 was only 60.
The enrollment in 1984 was 115, with
an average attendance in the upper 80s. In 1934, the church
budget was $1,720. In 1972, it was $11,000. Total receipts in
1983 grew to $85,124. The value of the church property in 1936
was $600. Today it is valued at more than $305,000.
Also in 1984, the church organized a
library that was named in honor of Deacon Oscar T. Boeker,
whom the Lord called home that same year.
Mission giving always has been a part
of the church's outreach programs. Church members support the
Cooperative Program, Associational Missions and Circle 6
Forsan Baptist Church is the only
church in Forsan. Church members offer community support when
someone loses a family member by providing a meal to those
families before or after the funeral service. There is a food
pantry for those who need help with groceries when finances
are tight and school supplies are provided to children in
Forsan each year. Clothing is also provided to those in
Sharon Cregar and Zimmalew Boeker have
provided piano and organ music in the church since 1968. Joyce
Baggett has led the music ministry for 33 years. There have
been many wonderful musicians performing solos as well as
duets, trios and quartets.
In 1986, the church bought a bus
equipped with a handicapped lift. The Just Older Youth, JOY,
fellowship was formed. This group uses the bus to take trips.
JOY meets once a month on the fourth Monday for a fellowship
The pastor who served the congregation
the longest was Bro. Jack Clinkscales. He came to the church
in 1972 and served until 1998. He ministered as the pastor, as
a friend and as a comforter.
Bro. Clinkscales performed marriage
ceremonies for many of the church members and then also
performed the funeral services for those same families. He
preached his last sermon during spring break in March 2005.
His last sermon was preached in Tarzan before the Lord called
him home March 27, 2005.
Bob Fishback answered a need to
minister to the children of Forsan. He realized that the
children he was picking up and dropping off on the bus were
not see in church.
In 2000, he and his wife, Jeanine
approached the congregation about providing a children and
youth program Wednesday nights in the educational
This program has provided Bible study,
fellowship and snacks for Forsan children. There have been as
many as 30 children learning about Jesus and His love for
them. This program of planting seeds has been in place for
five years and continues, with faithful workers keeping it
Janca came to the church in 2000. The
Lord literally brought the family to visit the church while
Bro. Monroe Teeters was interim pastor. Along with his
pastoral duties, Bro. Janca has renewed the vacation Bible
School program, youth meetings, Fifth-Quarter fellowships and
a children and youth choir.
During this time, Jeanine Fishback has
organized outreaches to the Forsan community through several
women's Bible studies.
In 2003, the Boy Scouts of America
volunteered to install a basketball goal and a volleyball
court for the youth to use.
The church purchased a van in 2004 to
help pick up the children and youth in the community to attend
our activities. The old church bus was donated to another
In the fall of 2004, the church
members honored Bro. C.V. Wash for 70 years of service as a
leader in the church and the community and for his service as
a deacon at Forsan Baptist Church.
"God has been good to us and the
members have been faithful in making this church a lighthouse
in our community. We give God the glory for it all and
dedicate these facilities to the saving of souls and the
enrichment and spiritual growth of our community," Janca